Saturday 2 March 2013

The Woman I Am Today.

When I reflect on having had cancer
I think it's fair to say,
Without everything I went through then
I wouldn't be the woman I am today.
Yes, it's been a struggle since
To keep my outlook bright.
Yes, there have been so many times
I've barely slept at night.
I know it's changed my state of mind
Both for better and for worse.
I've found having had cancer to be
Both a blessing and a curse.
It's left me with poor memory,
Poor recall, poor retrieval,
I often lose my train of thought,
All sense of time, all focus.
I'm told it's akin to PTSD -
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder -
At times it's hard to concentrate
Or I think on what I oughtn't,
But I've learnt to just get on with it,
To laugh, not make a fuss.
People ask me would I change my life
But I wouldn't, of course, because
I've made so many new friends
And have new purpose in my life,
I feel the final outcomes
Justify the strife.


© RamblingRose@PeachPonderings. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment